Ruger recently announced the latest addition to its AR-556 line of rifles. And this one looks pretty darn good, right from the jump. The Ruger AR-556 MPR now sports a PROOF Research carbon-fiber barrel, creating a lightweight platform built for performance.
Ruger AR-556 MPR Details
The 18-inch PROOF Research barrel immediately provides a signature look. But it also weighs less than standard offerings, delivering great accuracy typically. The rifle comes with a rifle-length gas system. Chambered in .223 Wylde, it eats both .223 Rem. and 5.56 NATO fodder.
The free-float handguard measure 15 inches overall, with M-LOK attachment points at the 3, 6 and 9 o’clock positions. The lower receiver comes fitted with a Magpul PRS stock. It offers length of pull and comb height adjustments–a favorite stock choice for many shooters. It pairs with the Magpul MOE-K2 grip.
A Ruger muzzle brake utilizes a radial port design. It significantly reduces felt recoil and muzzle movement, according to Ruger. The threaded barrel allows for a wide range of aftermarket accessory attachments.
The new rifle retails for $2,049. For even more info, please visit ruger.com.
Ruger AR-556 MPR Features
- Features an 18″ PROOF Research carbon fiber wrapped barrel that is both attractive and significantly lighter than standard barrels, while still offering excellent accuracy and repeatability.
- Features a rifle-length gas system paired with chambering in .223 Wylde, a well-established chamber geometry that safely, accurately, and reliably functions with both 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington ammunition.
- Lower receiver is fitted with Magpul PRS Lite® stock that balances the rifle and has secure length of pull and comb height adjustments for the best fit. Magpul MOE-K2 grip provides ergonomic access to trigger and safety controls.
- Handguard is free-floated for accuracy and the slim, 15″ length provides enhanced ergonomics.
- Bolt is mil-spec 9310 and is machined, shot peened and proof tested for strength and durability.
- The Ruger® Elite 452® AR-Trigger is a two-stage trigger that offers a smooth, crisp, 4.5 pound trigger pull. It features a full-strength hammer spring for consistent primer ignition and a lightweight hammer that enables a faster lock time for improved accuracy.
- Magpul M-LOK accessory attachment slots along the 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 positions with additional slots on the angled faces near the muzzle.
- Ruger® muzzle brake is a radial port design that significantly reduces felt recoil and muzzle movement. The threaded barrel allows for standard muzzle accessories.
- Made from aerospace-grade 7075-T6 aluminum forging, the flat top upper receiver includes a forward assist, dust cover and brass deflector.
- Bolt carrier and gas key have chrome-plated inside diameters to provide exceptional resistance to hot gases. The gas key is staked so that it will not loosen after extensive firing.
- Also includes: one, 30-round Magpul PMAG magazine.
Ruger AR-556 MPR Specs
- Stock: Magpul PRS Lite
- Handguard: Free-Floate with Magpul M-LOK slots
- Sights: None
- Barrel Length: 18 inches
- Thread Pattern: 1/2″-28
- Twist: 1:8″ RH
- Overall Capacity: 30
- Finish: Gray Cerakote
- Height: 8 inches
- Overall Weight: 7.4 pounds
- Overall Length: 37.63-39 inches
- Length of Pull: 13.88-15.25 inches
- Grooves: 4
- MSRP: $2,049