On Dec. 1, 2019, we launched our Ballistic Best Reader’s Choice Awards where you, the readers, had the opportunity to vote on the best firearms of 2019. In total, we saw more than 7,000 responses! So thank you to those of you who voted.
Reader’s Choice for Best Compact Semi-Auto Pistol
For the first category, we’re taking a look at the “Best Compact Semi-Auto Pistol,” as voted by you. Compacts, as the name obviously suggests, are ideal for concealed carry. Every nominee here has a barrel length of 4 inches or less, with one as small as 2.75 inches. As far as caliber goes, the group falls into either 9mm or .380 ACP. Capacities range from 6+1 all the way up to 15+1 … yes, a compact with 15+1 capacity.
The nominees for the “Best Compact Semi-Auto Pistol” category were:
- FN 509 Midsize (Personal Defense World first look)
- Glock 43X (Personal Defense World first look)
- Kimber EVO SP (CS)
- Mossberg MC1sc (Ballistic commentary)
- Remington RM380 Executive (Personal Defense World comparison)
- Ruger Security-9 Compact (Personal Defense World review)
- SCCY CPX-3
- SIG Sauer P320 XCompact
- Smith & Wesson PC M&P Shield M2.0 (Personal Defense World first look)
We’ll announce the winners of the other categories each day for the next week and update it here. The categories for this year included:
- Compact semi-auto handguns (non-1911s)
- Revolvers — WINNER: Colt King Cobra
- 1911s — WINNER: Wilson Combat EDC X9L
- Full-sized semi-auto handguns (non-1911s) — WINNER: Walther Q5 Match SF Pro
- Semi-auto shotguns — WINNER: Benelli M4 H20 Tactical
- Bolt-action rifles — WINNER: Barrett MRAD
- Semi-auto rifles — WINNER: SIG M400 Tread
According to our readers, the winner of “Best Compact Semi-Auto Pistol” is the SIG P320 XCompact, which amassed a 1,749 votes in total.
SIG Sauer P320 XCompact Details
The following was written by contributor Garrett Lucas as a part of the 2019 Ballistic’s Best issue. Want to find out the winners our staff chose? Grab digital and/or physical copies of “Ballistic’s Best 2019” at OutdoorGroupStore.com.
SIG Sauer has been on a roll the past few years, and the new P320 XCompact is a prime example of the company’s popularity and success. Built on the modular P320 platform, the XCompact brings a few extra features to the series to distinguish it as a top-tier carry gun.
One of my favorite features is the X-RAY3 day/night front sight, which has a high-visibility green halo around the tritium insert. I’ve got that sight on a couple of other pistols and am continually impressed by how fast it is to acquire and how well I shoot with it. The rear sight has a plain black profile with tritium inserts and is part of the optics plate assembly, which means that irons will not be available when a reflex sight is installed. The XCompact will accept SIG’s new ROMEO1PRO as well as the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro.
The XCompact also has the flat X-Series trigger for a 90-degree break, which many people like, including myself. However, the biggest selling point for me is the relief cut in the frontstrap behind the triggerguard. That completely changes the feel and ergonomics of the pistol compared with standard P320s, and it just melted into my hand.
Overall, the P320 XCompact is an exceptional pistol that has all the trimmings a lot of shooters love. For more information, please visit SIGSauer.com.
SIG Sauer P320 XCompact Specs
- Caliber: 9mm
- Barrel Length: 3.6 inches
- Overall Length: 7 inches
- Weight: 25.3 ounces (empty)
- Grips: Polymer
- Sights: X-RAY3 front, Night Sight Rear Plate
- Action: Striker-fired
- Finish: Matte black
- Capacity: 15+1
- MSRP: $728
With a heavy steel frame leading the way, the 9mm Walther Q5 Match SF...
by Ballistic Staff / Jan 3, 2020